Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Bookish Interview with Brittany (Space Between The Spines)

So happy to have Brittany featured on my blog today!

1. What is your favorite book genre?
I tend to pride myself on having a pretty wide taste in books. I've read and enjoyed adult fiction, steamy romances, mysteries, Christian Fiction, and middle grade novels, but I - like many of other bloggers - have a particular love for Young Adult novels. And, if you've followed my blog for any length of time, you'll also realize I have a weird fascination with Amish Fiction as well. What can I say? I'm an eclectic reader. 

2. Top three favorite books? 
Wow, this is like asking someone to choose their favorite children. Haha! I'm going to cheat a little bit and list my top favorite SERIES for the first two - sorry, Cambria! 
1.) Harry Potter - Like many of you, I was obsessed with Harry Potter growing up and it's a book that pretty much defined my generation, so of course it's in the top three!

2.) The Mortal Instruments/The Infernal Devices - Again, this is another popular series that people fell in love with and I'm definitely among the masses. Clare definitely knows how to write memorable characters and her world-building is top notch. And - just so you know - I'm Team Jace and Team Jem!

3.) The Help by Kathryn Stockett - I'm a huge fan of Southern Fiction and this is, by far, my favorite of the genre. With interested characters and a compelling premise, this book will keep you turning the pages. Not only that, but this book has a great film adaptation, too!


3. If you’re stranded on an island, what book character would you want with you?
 I'm going to avoid answering this based on the hottest, swoon-worthy guy I could come up with, because let's face it, there's a lot I would like to spend some quality alone time with. So, I'll choose someone I think would be a great asset when it comes to my survival - and that would have to be Peregrine from the Under the Never Sky trilogy. Having existed outsides the dome and amongst all sort of danger (like aether, murderers, and cannibals), I think I'd definitely have a shot at living long enough to be rescued. And the fact that he's pretty easy on the eyes is a plus, too!

4. If you could live any book, what would it be? And which character would you be?
Well, I think at least the first part of this question is pretty obvious. I mean, who wouldn't want to live in the Wizarding World of the Harry Potter series? After all, I'm still not convinced that I'm a muggle. My letter just got lost along the way! And if I were a character from the series, I'd either like to be Hermione or Luna. I'd like to think that I'd have Hermione's quick wit, but I also love Luna's eccentric nature and the fact that she walks to the beat of her own drum. So, definitely one of those two!

5. If you had the opportunity to have dinner with any author, who would it be and why?
 J.K. Rowling, John Green, Rick Riordan, Beverly Lewis, Cassandra Clare and - Oh? Only one? But, but...! But seriously, if I had the chance to sit down and talk with any of these authors, I'd be one happy girl. 

6. Tris or Katniss?
 This is another hard one. While I like both of them for different reasons, I think I have to go with Katniss. She's the ultimate heroine: smart, courageous, and driven. While Tris had many of these same characteristics, I felt that she was a little too rash for her own good, particularly in Insurgent. She just kept getting into scrapes that Four had to save her from. Katniss never really put herself into a situation that she couldn't get herself out of. 

7. Four or Peeta?
Another impossible question, haha. Again, I think I'm going to have to go with The Hunger Games on this one. Four was hot and swoon-worthy, but I felt like many readers could have a real connection with Peeta, other than him just being "hot." He's sweet, forgiving, and caring - almost too good for Katniss, really. In my opinion, he will always be the ultimate book boyfriend!

8. Most thought provoking book you've read?
 Hmm, this could have a few different answers (for example, I want to say The Help, but I've already listed it, haha), so I think I'll go with The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It brings to the surface issues that really keep the reader thinking. What is true courage? Can love come in many forms? As well as covering a controversial aspect of history. What kept me thinking the most, though, was that ending. And I think many people who have read it can concur. It's an ending none of us liked, but one that we've come to respect and accept. 

9. Favorite character?
 Again, there could be so many answers to this question, but I'm going to try and ignore the more obvious ones. (Like Hermione, Katniss, Tessa, Tris, and so forth.) So, I think my favorite lesser-known character would be Jo March from Little Women. For anyone who has followed my blog for any length of time, you'll quickly learn that Little Women is my favorite classic. From that book, it's Jo that I relate to and admire most. Alcott actually based Jo off herself and what makes the character so memorable was her fiery spirit and her love for words, books, and writing. As an aspiring author who spent the better part of recess and lunch writing in school, she was certainly a character that I could look up to. 

10. One book you wish was a movie?
  This one is actually pretty easy for me. I'm DYING to see a movie adaptation of the Warrior Cat series, especially considering that they've done some awesome special effects with CGI lately. The Guardians of Ga'Hoole, for example, was absolutely brilliant, cinema wise. I've love to see Firestar come to life and, if it ever became a movie, I'd be first in line to see it!

It was a joy doing this interview with you, Brittany!!


1 comment:

  1. Yay, I'm famous! Lol, but really, though - thanks for the interview! I had a great time! =D

    Brittany

    ReplyDelete